Amaya is the younger sister of the late Queen Sarai and the maternal aunt of Callum and Ezran. She is Deaf and communicates through sign language. Her close friend and trusted lieutenant Gren is her primary sign language interpreter. She is the general and the leader of the Standing Battalion, one of Katolis's most powerful armies, keeping vigilant guard at The Border.
Amaya has short, dark brown hair. She has dark brown eyes and a fair complexion. She also has a scar below her right eye that was inflicted by a Magma Titan. She is usually seen wearing full armor, with a large shield on her back.
She is physically fit, as she starts every day with a workout.
Amaya is seen as a warm, caring, and strong woman who deeply cares about her family and is willing to fight to protect them. She is also incredibly loyal to her late older sister, Sarai, as she becomes a mother-like figure to Callum and Ezran in Sarai's place, placing their safety and well being above all else.
She is an iron-fisted commander with a deep hatred for Xadia. In battle, she adopts a confident and intimidating nature - an attribute best demonstrated in her fight with Rayla, during which she mercilessly attacks the elf with her shield. This hatred may stem from her sister Sarai's death at the hands of the Dragon King Avizandum. However, she puts aside her hatred when she remembers that Viren is the true villain. She ends up fighting for Xadia and befriending Janai, a Sunfire Elf, who previously was her enemy. She also has a sense of humility when admitting her own mistakes, similar to her nephews, and changed her opinions about elves when she saw their true colors. She also has a good intuition, as she suspected that Viren's betrayal of the kingdom would happen someday.
According to Khessa, Amaya has a pure heart of strong conviction, as shown when she faced the light of the Sunforge and came out unscathed. This statement was supported when she was allowed to ride on the back of Janai's Twin-Tailed Inferno-Tooth Tiger; a creature that only allows people with pure hearts on their back.
Renowned for her iron will and ferocity in battle, Amaya is one of the highest-ranking Generals in the army of Katolis. She’s both an immovable object and an unstoppable force: in a fight, she’s more likely to use her shield like a battering ram. Nevertheless, she’s fiercely protective of her nephews, Callum and Ezran. Amaya is often accompanied by Gren, her most trusted lieutenant and sign language interpreter.
|—Official Description |
Skills and Abilities
Amaya communicates with others using sign language and is highly skilled at reading lips, as shown by her ability to understand others without the use of sign language.
In battle, Amaya is immensely strong and brutal, often using her shield as a sort of battering ram to deliver blunt attacks to her foes. According to Sarai, Amaya's deafness is part of why she has a stronger awareness and strategic sense than any other general. Consequently, her fighting style can be somewhat destructive, as she leveled an entire game room in the process of fighting and subduing Rayla. Her fighting prowess is on par with that of Janai, a Sunfire Elf knight renowned for her ferocity in combat.
- Amaya is a name derived from the Proto-Basque or Basque word Amaia, meaning "the end". In Spanish origin, the name derives from the village of Amaya in Burgos, Spain, whose name comes from the old Celtic language spoken in Cantabria ("am(ma)" meaning "mum" and the suffix "-io/a" describing a toponym, thus, "mother city" or "capital".) Amaya is also a Japanese surname that is claimed to mean "night rain".
- Amaya was born deaf. It is unknown if she can't communicate verbally by choice or due to not learning it because of her condition.
- To shape Amaya's character authentically, the creators and showrunners spent a lot of time talking with people they know are deaf or hard of hearing, as well as contacting several organizations that raise awareness around deafness or support deaf people. When they produced the episodes, they used two ASL interpreters, Lucy Farley and Darcie Kerr, to make sure that Amaya's communication was accurate, authentic and emotional.
- Amaya and Sarai are of Asian equivalent Katolian heritage.
- For season 3, the showrunners decided to have Amaya’s gloves lightened for the sake of her fingers being easier to read.
- According to Opeli, Amaya and her sister trained Katolis's army to the best and fiercest of all the five kingdoms
- In earlier concepts, Amaya's bangs included a lighter colored section and was jet black.
- Amaya has been confirmed as a lesbian by a lead writer. However, this confirmation occurred on a private account and has yet to be confirmed officially.
- Amaya likes a good fight, breakfast, and her nephews. She dislikes liars, skipping meals, and salads.
- Amaya is a great breakfast chef, who had traveled the world and mastered breakfast tricks everywhere she had been, able to make muffins better than any baker in Duren and poach eggs with syrupy golden yolks like the farmers in Del Bar. Despite this, she has a tendency to leave eggshells in food while baking.
- Amaya's concept development included an elaborate exploration of "tough military aunt" colors and styles.
- As a piece of armor and main weapon, Amaya's shield needed to be iconic and multi-functional in battle. During early development, the design explored options to have the shield split apart and feature a built-in sheath that could hold a short sword.
- On her birthday, Amaya insists on sparring with her entire Standing Battalion at once (with Gren as the referee). She promises the first soldier to score a hit against her will be immediately promoted. To this day, however, no soldier has scored a hit on General Amaya.
- A second (but equally important) birthday tradition is the baking of Amaya's favorite treat: oatmeal raisin cookies. Her standards for oatmeal raisin cookies are very high. Good oatmeal raisin cookies? Delicious perfection. Bad ones? Trash. Garbage. Unacceptable. Only Corvus's baking can meet her standards and the responsibility… nay, the HONOR of baking them each year means Corvus, tragically, has to skip the birthday sparring match.
|Team Zym||Callum • Ezran • Rayla • Bait • Azymondias|
|Humans||Callum • Ezran • Harrow • Viren • Claudia • Soren • Amaya • Gren • Corvus • Ellis • Sarai • Opeli • Aanya • Annika and Neha • Florian • Fareeda • Ahling • Villads • Kasef • Saleer • Crow Master • Barius • Allen • Marcos • Fen • Ziard • The Orphan Queen|
|Elves||Rayla • Runaan • Lujanne • Janai • Aaravos • Nyx • Ibis • Ethari • Kazi • Khessa • Tiadrin and Lain • Aditi • Moonshadow Elf Assassins|
|Dragons||Azymondias • Avizandum • Zubeia • Sol Regem • Luna Tenebris • Pyrrah • Rex Igneous|
|Minor Characters||Delilah Giehl • Doctor • Hendyr • Lissa • Sabah • Sir Phineas Kirst • Sunfire High Priest • Terry • Tristan|
|Animals||Bait • Phoe-Phoe • Ava • Pip • Berto|