Aaravos is a "fallen" Startouch Elf who was trapped inside an area behind a magic mirror by the Archdragons and elves of Xadia for yet unrevealed reasons. He was one of the first elves to live inside Xadia and the last of the "Great Ones".
Aaravos has midnight blue skin, yellow eyes, and long, layered white hair. He sometimes wears a dark cloak with a star symbol on its hood. His skin gets darker in color across his torso and down his arms before lightening once more. He has a black star marking on his chest which is surrounded by a white hued marking, as well star markings of the same hue across his face and hands. These star markings are broken up into two layers of design: diamond patterns just below his eyes and a splash of smaller markings that give him the appearance of being freckled, making him look very young despite being approximately 5000 years old. His eyes sometimes glow white when performing magic.
Originally, parts of his body, his hair, his eyes, his horns, and the star on his chest were illuminated like stars. However, after becoming a "fallen" Startouch Elf, the lights on his body have faded.
Overall, the color scheme of his hair, skin, and eyes looks like a negative photograph of a pale-skinned human being.
Aaravos is an exceptionally intelligent, cunning, and manipulative individual. He knows when to back down from a fight that cannot be won and is very adept at staying several steps ahead of both his allies and enemies. He manages to gain the trust and loyalty of Viren, who is an extremely sharp-minded individual himself. Unlike Viren, Aaravos sees the bigger picture of things and does not lie to himself about his intentions.
However, Aaravos also has shown a hint of arrogance when he reveals his belief on individuals who cannot be reasoned with, saying that they are simple animals who deserve to be motivated by fear. Despite this, he has shown a dislike of those he considers arrogant, such as Avizandum, who took part in imprisoning him, and the Sunfire Elves who took Viren (an extremely dangerous individual) and brought him right to the Sunforge, the source of their power. He is also shown to be at least somewhat sadistic, as he whispered to Khessa about how her grandmother Aditi died before killing her too.
Aaravos can be playful, teasing Viren while conversing with him during the military expedition to Xadia. Despite his withholding of information, Aaravos switches from playful to quietly furious at the mere mention of Avizandum, indicating that he is quite capable of holding a grudge. Given his lifespan as a Startouch Elf, this malice is made all the more impressive due to how long he has maintained his vendetta.
Aaravos is often very casual in his body language and mannerisms. From resting on the back of his spectral horse in his projection to communicate with Viren to his often circular and airy hand gestures, it appears that Aaravos is a very casual individual when attempting to gain the favor and loyalty of an ally. Even when committing the act of murder, his body language remains fluid, relaxed, and radiates confidence. So far, it is not yet made clear what his personal goals are or why he chooses to aid Viren.
Skills and Abilities
Star Primal Connection
Aaravos is a phenomenally powerful Archmage who can perform magic of all six Primal Sources, as well as dark magic. It is currently unclear how he acquired these powers. The level of his mastery of magic is proven by the fact that he can perform spells without speaking the required incantations.
Although trapped behind a magic mirror, Aaravos can perform magic that allows him to see what appears on the mirror's other side. He was also able to kill Khessa by flicking a single finger under her chin. He was later able to, through Viren, transform the entire human army into powerful sun monsters immune even to dragon fire, doing so by turning a ritual of the Sunfire Elves against them and stealing their magic.
Aaravos has a familiar that is affiliated with him, a caterpillar-like creature that is not native to the world of Xadia. He cannot directly speak to anyone beyond the mirror, but his magic allows him to control this companion, allowing him to use it to facilitate communication across the mirror. He can perform a magical ritual in concert with a person on the opposite side of the mirror to teleport the caterpillar across its surface, and he can then channel his voice through it so that those on the other side can hear him speak, while he can hear what the caterpillar hears. If Aaravos connects in this way to a person on the other side of the mirror who wields a magic staff, he can cast spells and channel them through it. The caterpillar is capable of increasing in size over time, and Aaravos can perform spells through the form.
When the caterpillar puts its silk across one's eye, they see an apparition of Aaravos to communicate with. This apparition is only visible to that person, and can conjure whatever they desire for themselves (for example, a steed). When the caterpillar bites another, they are transformed into a spectral form of Aaravos for a short time and have all of his powers. Aaravos can also use dark magic to steal magic from another being.
Manipulation and Persuasion
Aaravos is a master manipulator. He is able to earn the trust of the cunning yet skeptical Viren after he reveals what the latter desires. He then proceeds to help Viren by instructing him on what to do so that he can achieve his goals of persuading the other monarchs of the Human Kingdoms to wage war on Xadia. Aaravos's persuasive and manipulative nature is further shown when he can trick people in power to further Viren's goals. Additionally, he intentionally calls Claudia an "asset" to which Viren refuses the claim and calls her his daughter and not merely a useful object. Aaravos smiles, as unknowingly Viren has shown him an exploitable weakness.
- Aaravos's name shares a similarity with aravah, which is a leafy branch of the willow tree. It is one of the four species used in a special waving ceremony during the Jewish holiday of Sukkot. As it lacks both smell and taste, it symbolizes those who lack both the Torah and good deeds (which in the world of Xadia may be a reference to dark mages, lacking both an Arcanum and purity of soul). Because of its shape, the aravah is also the symbol of the mouth.
- Aaravos shares his voice actor, Erik Dellums, with Koh the Face Stealer from Avatar: The Last Airbender.
- Harrow wrote in a letter to Callum that the cube found at the Banther Lodge once belonged to Aaravos and is called the "Key of Aaravos". According to the letter, the Key of Aaravos unlocks something of importance in Xadia. Although the key originally belonged to Aaravos, it eventually came into possession of an unnamed female ancestor of Harrow's and was passed down in his family for generations.
- Aaravos says he does not know "where" the space behind the magic mirror is located. The area closest to his side of the mirror is a room with a fireplace, tables, and many books on bookshelves. Aaravos can use the room's doors to go to an unseen outdoor region.
- Before Viren stole it, the magic mirror that imprisons Aaravos belonged to Avizandum and Zubeia, who kept it closer to where they slept than any of the other possessions in their lair.
- Aaravos narrates the opening sequence in the first episode. He is not an omniscient narrator, for he incorrectly states that the humans destroyed the egg of the Dragon Prince. He also briefly narrates the opening of the first episode of Book Three.
- Aaravos is 6'6" tall without horns, which is based on his voice actor being 6'6" tall.
- The small creature through which Aaravos talks to Viren closely resembles the real world dragonhead caterpillars, which are the larval form of the butterfly Polyura athamas. The caterpillar also evolves with the ongoing story.
- Aaravos does not count the passage of time in minutes, nor hours, not even days — he counts candles, one after the other, burning themselves down to the wick and a puddle of hot wax. He would run out of candles if it weren't so easy to reform them with a wave of his hand, as though the burn had never happened.
- In the beginning stages of Aaravos's conduit, the writers described it as almost cute.
|Team Zym||Callum • Ezran • Rayla • Bait • Azymondias|
|Humans||Callum • Ezran • Harrow • Viren • Claudia • Soren • Amaya • Gren • Corvus • Ellis • Sarai • Opeli • Aanya • Annika and Neha • Florian • Fareeda • Ahling • Villads • Kasef • Saleer • Crow Master • Barius • Allen • Marcos • Fen • Ziard • The Orphan Queen|
|Elves||Rayla • Runaan • Lujanne • Janai • Aaravos • Nyx • Ibis • Ethari • Kazi • Khessa • Tiadrin and Lain • Aditi • Moonshadow Elf Assassins|
|Dragons||Azymondias • Avizandum • Zubeia • Sol Regem • Luna Tenebris • Pyrrah • Rex Igneous|
|Minor Characters||Delilah Giehl • Doctor • Hendyr • Lissa • Sabah • Sir Phineas Kirst • Sunfire High Priest • Terry • Tristan|
|Animals||Bait • Phoe-Phoe • Ava • Pip • Berto|